When I was in prison, visiting, an in mate came right after my presentation and said: "Mustapha I really appreciate your talk on in-mate reformation. But how do you advise a prisoner like me serving a jail term for a crime I never committed?" The person in question was called James -- a brilliant young man that had mishandled petty cash at the place of work to pay medical bills for his child. To him, he had not committed any crime. He was justifying his actions.
This gives key pointers that in Uganda, majority of the people steal in order to survive. In other countries, many steal out of greed and others to prove that systems (internal controls) do not work. Unfortunately, those who steal out of greed are rarely brought to account.
Do you have one of the characteristics of poor leaders?
- You recruit a competent professional; after a series of interviews and competence assessment
- You give them a job description – over 5 pages of lists of what their activities will be
- And then you tell them how to do it
Death, they say, will occur to all of us. The timing and the way it occurs is what worries all of us. Always untimely, unpredictable.
At about 8:00pm on 30th March 2015, two rascals, riding on a Bodaboda took matters in their own hands to cut short Joan Kagezi’s illustrious life, an advocate and prosecutor. She stood for justice, and handled cases that shook the country.
If you are 25 years and more, you have probably spent the last 18 years investing in your technical skills. Going through nursery, primary, secondary and now University – trying to acquire a specialized degree. If you are lucky, you could have picked some great practical skills along the way. Skills like cooking, communication, leadership, planning, etc.
How much money have you invested in your life or process skills? I am one of the folks with several international qualifications including an MBA. I realized rather late that technical skills are good but just.
Success is all about overcoming rejections and objections so much that if you see you are attaining success without significant objections, you should get worried. Something may be wrong somewhere. Before we go deep into understanding how to handle rejections, we need to know the types. What kind of rejection are you likely to face?
Types of rejection
- Business sales rejections: Most of the time you are going to face rejections if you are approaching a wrong person. For example, you are sales person selling a product to a prospect you have not carried out any groundwork about. If you have not done enough research about your prospect, you tend think the product you are selling to them is ideal yet they want something different. Most of the business sales rejections I have experienced are because I have tried to sell a product which I think is good for the prospect when actually it isn’t. In most cases you will face such rejections simply because your product does not add value to the prospect’s condition. To avoid such a rejection, you must ask: who is my target person. What are their pain? Try to sell them products that fix their pain.
As a guerrilla marketer, your primary focus is to optimize business from existing customers. Your current customer is 8 times likely to buy another product or service from you than a new prospect. For this reason; guerrilla marketers focus their energy concurrently as follows:
- 65% focus on current and past customers
- 25% focus on prospects and new business – sell to individuals and market to groups
- 10% focus on the rest – universe.
Success in sales and marketing is a result of deliberate actions. You must identify the 80% of your customers who bring the 20% of your revenue and focus to make them very satisfied. To do that, understand your customer value. How much income do you get from a particular customer in a year? How much cost does this involve? What is the net income from a particular client? Then prioritize the client as much as possible depending on the income you get from them.